The classic family recipe on how to cook eggplant that you won’t find anywhere else. This recipe may be used as a main dish or the perfect complimentary side dish. This meal is best served with a fish or pasta of your choice.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Total time to cook: 25 minutes
- Level of Difficulty: Medium
- Serving Size: 5-6 servings
- 1 eggplant, peeled and sliced in 1/8 inch circles (soak in water for 1 hour)
- 28 oz. tomato sauce
- 16 oz. of water
- 16 oz. of mozzarella, diced and shredded
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 2-3 eggs, (beaten smoothly)
- 1 lb. of plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of diced onions
- Salt & peper to taste
- Preheat olive oil in saucepan.
- Dip eggplant into saucepan and cook both sides until golden brown. Turn occasionally and let drain on paper towels.
- In a separate saucepan, preheat 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil. Add onions and cook to golden brown.
- Add tomato sauce, water, oregano and 2-3 basil leaves to saucepan. Simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- In a (9×13 in) baking pan, spoon sauce so it’s covering the bottom of the pan. Place eggplant so they span 4 across and 4 down the sides.
- Add tomato sauce, mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and oregano evenly.
- Place another layer of eggplant, 4 across and 4 down the sides, covering the 1st layer of eggplant.
- Add tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, and oregano evenly. Adding another layer of mozzarella is optional.
- Cover baking pan with foil.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy.
Prepare your sauce prior to cooking eggplant.
Image Used: Source