Ever walk down the streets of New York during an Italian feast? If you have, you’re well aware of the aroma of sausage and peppers. This is the Italian sausage recipe that will bring you back to those days. Sausage and peppers may be served in a variety of ways, such as a main dish, side dish, or even a sandwich.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Total time to cook: 40 minutes
- Level of Difficulty: Easy
- Serving Size: 4-6 servings
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3-4 green & red sweet peppers, 1/2 inch slices and de-cored
- 1/2 cups of onions, at 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat olive oil in saucepan.
- Add peppers, onions and water into the saucepan.
- Cook until tender, stir occasionally and leave on the side.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sausage on oiled baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. (Remember to turn sausage occasionally).
- Let sausage cool, then cut into 1/4 inch circles, and place back into baking dish.
- Add peppers, and onions to the sausage. Stir evenly, and cover with foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy.
When cooking peppers, add additional oil when needed.
Image Used: Source